Sunday, June 19, 2011

Laundry Bag

I lived at home during my post secondary education years.  There were 3 great universities within 30 minutes of my parents house so it made sense to live at home and save some cash.

Even though I never experienced dorm life, I remember the one complaint all my friends had was laundry.

Where to stash it, when to do it, how to do it… Strangely enough a lot of conversations centered around laundry and the laundry mat (and the cute guys who frequented the laundry mat—MissyM, you can erase that last sentence from your memory!)

I wasn’t much of a sewer back then, but I do remember making a laundry bag for a friend that held a 50 pound weight for a week and survived (yes there is a long story to go with that, but totally not appropriate for a “family friendly” blog!)
Anyway, back to the present…a friend of ours has boys (twins) heading off to college in September and when I was trying to figure out what to get for them laundry bags popped into my mind.

I’m not sure if these will hold 50 pounds, but I’m pleased with how they turned out.


Notice the mountain of laundry to fold?  That could be the real reason laundry bags came to mind!  To take pictures I stuffed them with pillows and towels…I really hope no stray sock ended up inside! (if it did--it's clean!  and would explain where those stray socks go)

I filled a basket with whatever laundry related items I could find in the travel section of Target…and then added Fabreze, which a friend of mine suggested.  After her dorm stories I’m sure she wished the product was available when she was in school!
I didn’t take the best pictures of my process while sewing these up, so I plan to make a “mini” bag to show you all how I put it all together…but that’s another post!

4 comments:

Jill said...

What a great idea! Now will I remember this in several years time when my girls head off to uni....

I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
Have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

BluBabesCreate said...

My brother is in college and this is perfect for him!

DaneMum said...

I've experience dorm life - in Australian and twice in Denmark. I know the value of a BIG laundry-bag that you can actually carry with you. I love the pockets on the front for detergent ect.

Julie said...

What a perfect college gift! Thanks so much for sharing on It's Stinkin' Cute Craft Thursday. Did you have a pattern or did you free hand?

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by!